Saturday, June 30, 2007

Eight Random Things about GDK

JJ, of Her Royal Unrepentantness, has tagged some of us lasses for the "8 Random Things" meme. I noticed that JJ also tagged Politics 'n Poetry, so I hopped on over to P'n'P to catch up on Berlynn's fab blog. To my utter embarassment, I realized that Berlynn had also tagged me for this 8 Things meme, and I must have totally missed it!

Just how many times to you have to tag GDK before she buys a clue? Turns out the answer is "two." So! Without further furthers, here we go:
  1. All right, here are the rules.
  2. We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
  3. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
  4. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
  5. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.
GDK Factoid the first: I accidentally administered bamboo-torture to...myself. Well, except it was a piece of wood from a kitchen chair, not bamboo. You see, I was tidying something around the table and I tripped on a carpet snag and tried to grab the chair to regain my balance. Oh boy, did I grab that chair! Next thing I knew, I had at least a centimetre's worth of chair-wood lodged under my thumbnail. Yeoow. It remained there all night, and most of the following day, until I could get the swelling to subside. I eventually removed the offending object with tweezers. Some people will do anything to avoid Ontario's Emergency rooms, eh?

GDK Factoid the second: I married my first boyfriend. I was on a strict, self-imposed "ne pas de boys" regime until I left home. I met Mr. Kitty in first year physics class. I brought him home at Xmas to meet my folks. They liked him, but my dad was very skeptical because Mr. Kitty was 23 and I was 19: "It'll never work. He's too mature for her." Yeah...as I type this post, Mr. Kitty is striking a very...*aHem*... mature pose on the couch, playing Xbox.

GDK Factoid the third: I have personally flushed hundreds of dollars' worth of Prozac down the toilet. In my defense, I was only 16 and the drug had just come out on the market. Something felt fishy about it and I didn't trust my doctor at all. Just the same, I can hardly blame my parents for dutifully filling those prescriptions. I don't remember how long I carried on the ruse of consuming the green & yellow capsules. Maybe 8 months? A year? I do remember that each month's supply cost ~$60 (the ink on Eli Lilly's patent was still wet back then). So...sorry to my parents' generous drug-plan underwriters. I was gonna use the "hey! It was the 80s" excuse, but I woulda been wrong: it was actually 1990.

GDK Factoid the fourth: When I was 10 years old, I had to have a crochet-hook removed from my foot. I was sitting on my bed, crocheting slippers for somebody, when I got interrupted and left the room for a while. I must have placed the hook in the ball of yarn and forgotten about it. That is, until the next time I got out of bed and...Yeoww! He-llo! Mississauga General!

GDK Factoid the fifth: I can't go to bed without a sugar-free Halls. Something about it helps me relax and breathe a bit easier. 'Extra-strong mint' is best. I did 'black cherry' for a while, but I wound up leaving unfortunate red drool stains on my good pillowcase. Now where can I pick up my free case of Halls? ;)

GDK Factoid the sixth: My first trip to a bar was to a gay bar on Thanksgiving weekend, 1993. I went with my University Residence manager and his boyfriend. We were the only ones who hadn't gone home for the weekend, so we felt like we had a whole city to ourselves.

GDK Factoid the seventh: I hate mirrors. All reflective surfaces, really. It's a miracle I can dress myself in the morning. Well...there was that one time I put on a black bra under a white shirt and didn't realize my mistake until after I was finished giving a presentation for 4th yr genetics class. Oy.

GDK Factoid the eighth: I'm an agnostic. Ok, a foul-weather atheist. Here's the weird part: I don't believe in God(s) and I don't think there's life after death BUT I often catch myself imagining bizarre scenarios surrounding the actual experience of my own death. e.g. I'm issued a 'death ticket,' not unlike a notice for jury duty. There's an "Awww, crap" moment, and then the practicalities take over. Or...a relative will visit me and insist that I sit myself down on a special heating-pad-like cushion, designed for the express-purpose of sucking out my remaining bleats of consciousness. Yes. This is how I entertain myself. There you go, wingnuts: I'm prolly just as batcrap crazy as you. Enjoy!

Thanks, JJ and Berlynn for the tag. If it's ok with you, I think I'm going to gently toddle-off without tagging anyone. It's been a very loooooooong week!

4 Comments:

Blogger JJ said...

What a great list!!! Very painful, though. I was going "oooh" and "owwww" through half of it.:D

The Hall's Habit -- my ex had that too. He always had to have one before he went to sleep, but he sucked on them on and off all day. Occasionally he'd decide that he'd had enough, remove the cough drop and put it somewhere *safe*. I was forever finding half-melted Hall's coughdrops in the weirdest places...

6/30/2007 1:12 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Great list! That will, of course, excuse you from the tagging I just issued to you.

6/30/2007 7:58 PM  
Blogger Godammitkitty said...

:) Thanks, Dave & JJ!

"I was forever finding half-melted Hall's coughdrops in the weirdest places..."
ROTFL! Oh, JJ, I must've done this in my sleep, once. Took a square-centimetre's worth of finish off of my night-table!

7/01/2007 2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you guys won't take this personally or anything, but I'm gonna move just a little farther away from y'all, maybe stand near the doorway, ready to escape at any time ...

7/02/2007 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home