Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Global Women's Memorial

The Global Women's Memorial Society and the National Film Board of Canada have co-produced the Global Women's Memorial Web Project. Please take a moment to watch their film.

Today is December 6th, the 16th 'anniversary' of the Montreal Massacre: the day when 14 young engineering students--all women--were killed at L'École Polytechnique. The assassin, Marc Lepine, convinced himself that "feminists had ruined" his life.

The Global Women's Memorial Speakout film is impressive in its inclusiveness and scope. I was particularly moved by the Indigenous women of the Downtown Eastside Women's Centre (Vancouver, BC) and their perspectives (Bernie Williams, Elders Council; Vikki Peters, and Carol Martin, Victim Service Worker). Young Indigenous women are 5X more likely to die as a result of violence than all other women. The film includes some really sad personal accounts of police (and societal) indifference to missing and abused Indigenous women. [see also www.highwayoftears.ca].

The film also included testimony from a Médecins Sans Frontières volunteer, Nicole Aube, who spoke of her time in the DR Congo, where she witnessed the consequences of rape--used as a weapon of war.

Since 1991, December 6th has been our official "National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women in Canada." Please consider attending a memorial in your area and/or viewing the virtual memorial produced by these talented & dedicated women.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zorpheous said...

Godammitkitty,

Before you condem Marc Lapine, I think you should read up on what his life was like. I am by no means making excuses for Marc or for his actions. I knew two of the fourteen young women that died sixteen years ago. There wasn't a single male engineering student I knew that didn't curse his name, but in some small way Marc was also a victom as well.

~sigh~ I just think back on this day and remember the grief and anger I felt, and the fallout that hit all the Engineering schools across Canada because of Marc's actions.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say here, except that maybe it time for people to stop blaming Marc for everything and maybe looking at the systems that failed ad allowed this happen. I certainly don't want to read or see anything like this again here in Canada or anywhere else, sadly I don't think I'll get that wish.

Anyways, I also posted the Montreal 14 earlier today.

I hope you have a better day than I'm having, Dec 6th always sucks in my books. Hope yours is better than mine

Later
Zorpheous

12/06/2005 1:03 PM  
Blogger Godammitkitty said...

Zorpheous,
Thank you for your thoughts and for posting about the Montreal 14 on your own blog. I realize that this is far more complex than one "crazy man" acting out; they take care to address this in the Global Women's Memorial film. Vikki Peters, an Indigenous woman in the (Vancouver) Downtown Eastside Women's centre talks about how much men need help and support too, before things get desperate. Dr. Harry Stefanakis (Ending Relationship Abuse Society of BC) also appears in the film to discuss this.

I noticed on your blog that you went to UWO. I just finished my PhD there in May. I attended last year's Dec 6th ceremony at UWO--they did a beautiful job. Many men attended & participated in the tributes. Paul Davenport (UWO's current President) recounted the sad events surrounding Lynda Shaw's death.

My sincere condolences, on this very sad day. With great respect, GDK.

12/06/2005 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home